Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Studio Journal

Yea.  Had a crit with Catherine Murphy today that went well.  She told me to think more about scale (go bigger) and try to make pieces that are more memorable... something I never really thought of before.  Or I never really though of that way before.  She is a little old school i think, but very smart and I take her opinion seriously.  She told me to be more ambitious, tackle more, but dont make too big of a mess.  I suppose she means be ambitious and concise, dont let too much cloud my head, but dont lose sight of some of the ideas I have.  She said that painting is a magic trick and sculpture is not, and the biggest challenge for me is how can I make painting both sculptural and a magic trick.  We discussed how the great secret to art history is how art works negotiate time.  It was a good crit.  Everyone usually tells me I need to self edit more.  I agree, but at the same time I have an idea of the more memorable pieces (if thats what its about) and also what the more successful pieces are in my eyes and that usually goes along with what everyone who comes in says isnt working.  But I like to show everything Ive made regardless.  With all that being said, i dont agree with her wholeheartedly about a few things.  I think the idea of an artwork being successful but not memorable is an interesting idea and if the goal is to make something memorable, making it bigger is the easy way to do it.  although I can agree with her that scale is limiting me to a certain extent right now.  I think she was into the work and she brought up a few ideas that she said she herself would be thinking about for the rest of the day at least. 

Goals for this week are to start brainstorming ideas for the project space, and read a few articles.  I want to start making some moves on some new pieces too.

Im meeting tomorrow with the little study/ crit/ discussion group that me and a few friends put together.  We are talking about our most favorite artwork of all time and why we like it and how it has affected us and our work.  should be fun. 

Trying to go to NYC on Thursday to see the Joanne Greenbaum, Micheal Krebber, and Trudy Benson.
Talked to Jim today and Im stoked for the studio visits on friday. 

no pictures, sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment