Monday, September 19, 2011

Critique




So we split into smaller groups to do critiques last class, well the class before last.  The crits went well, it was much more casual than a regular class crit, but just has helpful.  It was great to talk to people outside of my concentration and get their feedback.  A lot of times their concerns can be much different which is great because I found out what other kinds of artists think about and see when they look at work. It was also fun to give feedback about work I usually dont look at.  There were mostly photographers in my group, and my work was well received.  I got good feedback and everyone was able to read the work in a pretty unified way, which can be good and bad, I always like to get a few people who see it a little differently.  People picked up on the subtle color relationships in the work, and the intimacy of the textures, scale, and materials.  The idea of tension was brought up, both physical and feeling based.  I was only slightly aware of this characteristic in the work, so it was helpful to talk about it for a little.  The physical tension in the work was present most in the 2 legged table piece, where the table relies on the wall, and the cement piece on top is heavy and teetering on the edge.  The feeling based tension was more present in the smaller pieces.  Their size and simplicity is satisfying but also leaves the viewer wanting a little more; either more detail or bigger scale etc.  I find the feeling based tension interesting and definitely something to think about and be aware of, it needs to be owned for sure or it could come off as indecision or something.   I also got the idea to maybe incorporate some kind of liquid to help build some tension which could be cool and is something Ive never thought of.

No comments:

Post a Comment